Before installing Recast Management Server, ensure that your system meets the application's hardware and software requirements.
Recast Management Server software can be installed on its own server or on the primary Configuration Manager server.
On the IIS Configuration page, you should only change the server name if the client is going to use a DNS alias.
The default IIS Port is TCP 444, to prevent conflicts when Recast Management Server is installed on Configuration Manager servers. The IIS Port can be changed to 443, or any open TCP port, to suit your environment.
Recast Management Server requires a certificate for secure communication with Right Click Tools and any Recast Proxies. You have the option to generate a self-signed certificate or use an existing one. You should either use a web server certificate issued by a trusted internal Certificate Authority, or generate a self-signed certificate. The certificate can be changed later by editing the Binding in IIS Manager.
- The subject name or one of the subject alternative names of the certificate should match the server name in the URL that the Right Click Tools and Recast Proxies are pointed towards.
- The public key of self-signed certificates will need to be added to the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store on your Recast Proxies
- Right Click Tools will prompt for untrusted certificates and add them to an allowed list. To avoid this prompt, import the public key of the Recast Management Server certificate into the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store on the devices where the Right Click Tools are installed.
- Certificates can be changed later from IIS Manager.
Recast Management Server requires a SQL Server in version 4.0 or higher. This can be the free SQL Server Express version, or enterprise SQL. If the SQL Server is installed on a remote device, the computer account of Recast Management Server will need permissions to create the database on the remote device. Alternatively, you can pre-create the RecastManagementServer database and give the computer account db_owner permissions. If the SQL Server is installed on the local device, the computer account of the Recast Management Server will need permissions to create the database on the local device. You can pre-create the database and give the IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account db_owner permissions to the database. This account will not exist until after the installation is finished, so the permissions will need to be given after installation. The Test SQL Connection button will verify connectivity to the SQL Server during installation if the account running the installation has permissions to remotely connect.
SQL SERVER NOTES:
- Remote SQL Server: the computer account of the Recast Management Server needs to be given the db_owner role for the RecastManagementServer database.
- Local SQL Server: the IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account needs to be given the db_owner role for the RecastManagementServer database.
- The IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account will not exist until after the installation completes.
- The default SQL Server Port Number is 1433.
- For more information, see Configuring SQL Server Permissions.
Importing Your Recast Software Enterprise License
You can download and import your Right Click Tools Enterprise or Endpoint Insights license when installing Recast Management Server.
To download your Enterprise license:
1. On the installer's Import License page, enter your Recast Portal email address and password.
2. Click Download License. The license information will appear in the right-hand column.
NOTE: If your server does not have internet access, click Browse for License to browse the filesystem for a license file that has been exported from the Recast Portal.
Installing Recast Proxy
A Recast Proxy allows you to schedule Kiosk Manager and Builder actions as well as Recast security scopes. For instructions on installing Recast Proxy, see Installing Recast Management Server with Recast Proxy.
If you do not wish to install a Recast Proxy during Recast Management Server installation, enable Do Not Install Recast Proxy and click Install.
When the installation completes, click Finish to exit the setup wizard.
To confirm that you can open the Recast Management Server, navigate to https://<ServerFQDN>:<Port> in a web browser. Chrome, Edge, or Firefox are recommended. On the Recast Management Server login page, enter the username and password for the account that you were using to install the Recast Management Server.