How does this present itself
This error is most often identified when a user enters the ConfigMgr database information in the Configure Recast RCT application, but when using the SUDS (or any other) Dashboard the results are listed as "Unknown."
Why this is happening
The Right Click Tools Enterprise Dashboards are able to use the ConfigMgr database to retrieve their needed information. However, if the user running the console (or the Service Account if using a Recast Proxy) does not have permission to log into SQL or read from the SQL database the data will be considered "unknown."
How to Resolve the Issue
To resolve the issue, the user that is running the console (or the Service Account that is being used if you are using a Recast Proxy) need to have at least read-only permission to the ConfigMgr database.
Adding a user account via SQL Server Management Studio
- If the user account does not exist in SQL, users will need to add the account manually. The account will have the following name format: domain\user
- The User Account will need to be added in two places, as a Login Account, and as a Database User account.
Adding the User Account as a Login Account
- To create the account open SSMS and expand the folder of the instance in which you want to create the new login.
- Right Click on the Security folder, point to New, and select Login
- in the Login - New dialog box, on the General page, enter the name of the domain\username
Select User Mapping page and Select the ConfigMgr Database in the top right box. In the bottom right box select at least db_datareader.
Adding the User Account as a Database User
- To create the account open SSMS > locate the ConfigMgr Database > Security > Users
- Right Click on the Users folder > select New User > switch user type to windows user > add to user name and login name domain\username
- Note: User Name and Login are the same
- After creating or locating the newly created user account, you will need to assign it at least db_datareader permissions for the ConfigMgr database.
- To do so switch to the membership tab and select the db_datareader box:
- Click OK and the user will be added with read access to the database.