Before installing Recast Management Server, ensure that your system meets RMS's hardware and software requirements. Your system should also be set up with the appropriate Proxy Service Account Permissions.
Recast Management Server software can be installed on its own server or on the primary Configuration Manager server.
Run the Recast Management Server Installer
After downloading Recast Management Server from the Recast Portal, run the installer and follow its prompts.
To configure IIS:
1. On the IIS Configuration page, change the Server Name only if the client is going to use a DNS alias.
2. Set the IIS Port. The default IIS Port is TCP 444, to prevent conflicts when Recast Management Server is installed on Configuration Manager servers. The IIS Port can be changed to 443, or any open TCP port, to suit your environment.
Recast Management Server requires a certificate for secure communication with Right Click Tools and any Recast Proxies.
To configure a certificate:
On the Certificate Configuration page, you have the option to Generate a Self-signed Certificate or Use an Existing IIS Certificate issued by a trusted internal Certificate Authority.
- The subject name or one of the subject alternative names of the certificate should match the server name in the URL that the Right Click Tools and Recast Proxies are pointed towards.
- The public key of self-signed certificates must be added to the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store on your Recast Proxies.
- Right Click Tools will prompt for untrusted certificates and add them to an allowed list. To avoid this prompt, import the public key of the Recast Management Server certificate into the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities store on the devices where the Right Click Tools are installed.
- The certificate can be changed later by editing the Binding in IIS Manager.
Recast Management Server requires SQL Server version 4.0 or higher. This can be the free SQL Server Express version, or enterprise SQL.
If the SQL Server is installed on a remote device, the computer account of Recast Management Server will need permissions to create the database on the remote device. Alternatively, you can pre-create the RecastManagementServer database and give the computer account db_owner permissions.
If the SQL Server is installed on the local device, the computer account of the Recast Management Server will need permissions to create the database on the local device. You can pre-create the database and give the IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account db_owner permissions to the database.
This account will not exist until after the installation is finished, so the permissions will need to be given after installation. The Test SQL Connection button will verify connectivity to the SQL Server during installation if the account running the installation has permissions to remotely connect.
SQL SERVER NOTES:
- Remote SQL Server: The computer account of the Recast Management Server needs to be given the db_owner role for the RecastManagementServer database.
- Local SQL Server: The IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account needs to be given the db_owner role for the RecastManagementServer database.
- The IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account will not exist until after the installation completes.
- The default SQL Server Port Number is 1433.
- For more information, see Configure SQL Server Permissions.
You can download and import your Recast licenses when installing Recast Management Server.
To download your Enterprise license:
1. On the Import License page, enter your Recast Portal email address and password.
2. Click Download License. The license information will appear in the right-hand column.
NOTE: If your server does not have internet access, click Browse for License to browse the filesystem for a license file that has been exported from the Recast Portal.
NOTE: Recast Proxy must be deployed separately, after Recast Management Server installation, if the proxy is being installed on a server other than the Recast Management Server. For instructions, see Install Recast Proxy Separately.
To configure the proxy during RMS installation:
On the installer's Proxy Configuration page, enter the service account Domain, Username, and Password.
To configure your domain:
1. On the Domain Configuration page, enter the Domain Name.
2. Click Test Domain Connection to verify that the service account has access to read from your domain.
To set up your Configuration Manager for the proxy:
1. On the Configuration Manager Configuration page, enter the following information:
- Name of the site server that has your SMS Provider role
- Site Code
- Name of the SQL Server where your Configuration Manager SQL database is located
- SQL Database name
2. Click Test ConfigMgr Connection to check that the service account has access.
MBAM configuration is only required for a separate MBAM Server. If you are using the ConfigMgr integrated BitLocker or AD, you can skip this section and click Install.
To configure MBAM:
1. Tap Click Here to Configure MBAM.
2. Add your Administration URL and SQL Server information.
3. Click Test MBAM Connection to verify that the service account has access to MBAM.
4. Click Install.
Verify Your Installation
When the installation is complete, verify that you are able to open the Recast Management Server by navigating to
https://ServerFQDN:Port in a web browser (Chrome, Edge, or Firefox are recommended).
When asked to sign in, enter the username and password for the account used to install the Recast Management Server.
Installation Log Location
To verify the installation logs for Recast Management Server and Recast Proxy (when installed together), navigate to
C:\Users\user account running the install\AppData\Local\Temp
NOTE: The log is named something like Recast_Management_Server_2022*****.log