To add a new Shift Left configuration:
1. In ServiceNow, navigate to Shift Left > Configurations.
2. Click New to add a record.
3. Enter or search for your MIDServer name, SMSProvider, and SiteCode.
4. In the Recast Portal, click the Copy License icon in the Actions column.
5. In ServiceNow, paste the license text in the License field.
6. Click Submit.
When viewing an incident, a Shift Left button appears next to the Caller and Configuration item fields. In order for the buttons to appear in a ServiceNow incident form, both buttons must be configured, the Caller and Configuration item fields must be populated, and the Configuration item must be a computer or a server.
Click the Shift Left Caller button to open the Available User Actions window which displays user information and all Shift Left actions assigned to the user.
Click the Shift Left Configuration Item button to open the Available Device Actions window which displays device information and available device actions.
Set up the Shift Left Caller Button
You can configure the Caller button manually or using a script.
To set up the Caller button using a script, run the Add Shift Left User Button.js script from https://github.com/Recast-Software/Shift-Left.
To manually configure the Caller button:
1. In the same ServiceNow incident form, right-click on Caller and select Configure Dictionary from the drop-down menu.
2. Click Edit Global Record, if necessary.
3. Under Attributes, add
;x_471418_recast_ri_recast_user at the end of the ref_contributions list. Use a semicolon to separate the values.
4. Click Update.
Set up the Shift Left Configuration Item Button
You can configure the Configuration item button manually or using a script.
To set up the button using a script, run the Add Shift Left Device Button.js script from https://github.com/Recast-Software/Shift-Left.
To manually configure the Configuration item button:
1. In ServiceNow, navigate to Service Desk > Incidents.
2. Click New to open a new incident form.
3. Right-click on Configuration item and select Configure Dictionary from the drop-down menu.
4. Click Edit Global Record, if necessary.
5. Under Attributes, add
;x_471418_recast_ri_recast_ci at the end of the ref_contributions list. Use a semicolon to separate the values.
6. Click Update.
Shift Left roles include an ApplicationAdmin role, as well as an individual role for each type of user or device action.
To view all Shift Left roles:
1. In ServiceNow, navigate to User Administration > Roles.
x_471418 or just
x in the Name field. (Shift Left roles all begin with
While the ApplicationAdmin role grants access to all Shift Left actions, all other roles limit access to actions, allowing you to specify a set of permissions for individual users or groups.
If a user is assigned a ApplicationAdmin role, Shift Left buttons will appear in the ServiceNow incident form next to the Caller and Configuration item fields. If a user is granted a limited set of roles, they'll only see buttons for actions they can run. If a user isn't assigned any roles, they won't see any Shift Left buttons on incident forms.
To assign Shift Left roles to users:
1. In ServiceNow, open Organization - Users.
2. Select a user or user group.
3. On the Roles tab, click Edit.
4. On the Edit Members page, search for
x in the Collection list to view all available Shift Left roles. Shift Left roles all begin with
5. Select roles for the user and move each from the Collection to the Roles List by clicking the right-facing arrow.
6. Click Save.