When a file is set for collection, the Configuration Manager software inventory agent searches for the specified file when it runs a software inventory scan on each client. When a file to be collected is found, the File Collection Cycle attaches it to the inventory file and sends it to the site server. This is part of the Configuration Manager inventory functionality.
NOTE: This action differs from software inventory in that it actually sends the file to the site server, so that it can be later viewed using Resource Explorer.
To run this tool:
1. In your Configuration Manager console, right-click on a device collection.
2. Click Right Click Tools > Client Actions on Collection > File Collection Cycle.
When the action runs, a window displays progress and completion according to success.
- Requires the File Collection Cycle permission on the ConfigMgr Client.
- Requires that the target device has a working ConfigMgr client installed.
- Requires that the user running the ConfigMgr console has administrative access to the remote device.
- Remote WMI ports must be allowed through the firewall.
- If the 'Ping Computer Before Running Tools' option is set, ICMP Echo must be allowed through the firewall.
- If using a Recast Management Server with a proxy, the service account will need administrator permissions on the remote device.
One way around some of the permissions requirements and firewall rules is installing a Recast Agent.