Configuring SQL Server Permissions
Recast Management Server requires a SQL Server in version 4.0 and higher. This can be the free SQL Server Express version or a full version of SQL. The account installing Recast Management Server will need SysAdmin permission in the SQL instance to create the database, after the database has been created the SysAdmin privilages can be removed. The Test SQL Connection button can verify connectivity to the SQL Server if the account running the installation has permissions to remotely connect.
Alternatively, you can pre-create the Recast Management Server database and assign permissions manually. There are two users that will need to be assigned permissions in SQL, the computer account and the IIS AppPool\Recast Managment Server account. Info on setting permissions for these two accounts continues below. Please note that the IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account will not exist until after the installation is finished, so db_owner permissions will need to be assigned after installation.
Precreating the RecastManagementServer Database
- If DB Admins aren't able/willing to give SysAdmin rights to the user account running the installation, the DB Admin can manually create a database named RecastManagementServer
Adding the Computer Account via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- If the computer account for the Recast Management Server computer does not exist in SQL, users will need to add the account manually. The computer account will have the following name format: domain\computername$
- The computer account will need to be added in two places, as a Login Account, and as a Database User account.
Adding the computer account as a Login Account
- To create the account open SSMS and expand the folder of the server instance in which you want to create the new login.
- Right click on the Security folder, point to New, and select Login...
- In the Login - New dialog box, on the General Page enter the name of the domain\computer$
- Select User Mapping page, and Select the Recast Management Server in the top right box. In the bottom right box select db_owner
Adding the computer account as a Database User Account
- To create the account open SSMS > locate the RecastManagementServer > Security > Users
- Right Click on the Users folder > select New User > switch user type to windows user > add to user name and login name domain\computername$
- Note: User Name and Login are the same
- After creating or locating the Recast Management Server computer account, users need to assign it db_owner permissions for the RecastManagementServer database.
- To do so switch to the membership tab and select the db_owner box:
Assigning db_owner to the IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server Account
- The IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account will not exist until after the installation of the Recast Management Server is finished. After the installation of the Recast Management Server, db_owner permissions will need to be assigned to the IIS AppPool\Recast Management Server account.